Monday, December 10, 2012

Nail of the week: Native American inspired pattern

My design inspiration this week

This week I decided to do a Native American inspired pattern. I love the colors and the diamond shape of the print. I started off by applying two coats of Sinful Colors "Black on Black". Then using a small size dotting tool and Joann's Craft Essentials water based acrylic paints in yellow, orange, white, and red I created the pattern. For the turquoise I used Wet and Wild Megalast in "I need a refresh-mint", a beautiful minty greenish blue, which incidentally is a great dupe to the famous "For Audrey" by China Glaze. The two are almost indistinguishable on the nails but at $1.99 vs $8.00, "I need a refresh-mint" is a fraction of the price of "For Audrey".
Wet n Wild Megalast "I Need a Refresh-Mint" $1.99

I don't typically use actual nail polish in my nail art designs simply because if you make a mistake you must remove it with nail polish remover, where as with the acrylic paints you can simply remove it with water if you make a mistake. Also nail polish is not convenient for nail art because it tends to dry and get gloopy too quickly. But I since I didn't have this color of acrylic paint I decided to use it. This design was not difficult to achieve, a bit time consuming yes because of the detail, but not difficult. It mostly just requires a steady hand. I finished with two thick coats of my favorite topcoat NYC in New York Minute in "Grand Central Station". It is very important to add topcoat when working with acrylic paints, since the design will simply wash off without it. I hope you enjoyed this week's nail art design. Thanks for reading and have a great week!

No comments :