Wednesday, July 3, 2013

My Nail Care Routine

I get alot of questions from people about my nail care routine so I thought I would share that with you this week. For me personally the key to long, strong, healthy nails has been just weekly maintenance. No matter what is going on in my life I never skip my weekly manicure, it is one of the few things I do to really indulge myself. Everyone has a slightly different routine, but after a lot of experimenting this is just the routine and products that i've found work for me.

Step One:
Use a round lint free cotton pad and Acetone nail polish to remove the previous manicure. My favorite nail polish remover is the Acetone Up and up brand from target. I dont have it pictured because Im living abroad now and can't get it anymore but I would highly recommend this brand. I do my nails once a week and I always found the 16 oz bottle to last at least a month since it is pretty potent and does not require alot of product to remove your polish each time. click here to purchase

Step Two:
Using the Sally Hansen Instant Cuticle Remover Gel apply a thin strip of product along the cuticle. Allow it to sit on the cuticle for at least 20 seconds to loosen and remove the dead skin cells. I started using this product about two years ago and found it to be much more fast and efficient then soaking your nails in a bowl of warm water for 20 minutes like I used to do in order to accomplish the same job. Because you only need a thin strip on all your cuticles I find that this product lasts me almost a year, so its a great value for what youre paying for.click here to purchase
Step Three:
When the cuticle removing gel has sat on the cuticles for twenty seconds, take the flat tipped cuticle pusher and push the cuticles back off the nail plate. Do this gently. It should not hurt. It will probably have some of the softened white dead skin cells that you can gently wipe off with a round cotton pad after you push the cuticles back.click here to purchase

Step Four:
This next step is somewhat controversial so its definitely optional depending on your comfort level. Many nail techs disagree over whether or not to cut your cuticles but I personally choose to do it since I have been doing it for years. If you like you can forgo cutting the cuticle and choose to just use the cuticle trimmer to cut any hang nails or splits on the side of the nail.click here to purchase
Step Five:
Wash your nails thoroughly with a small nail brush to remove any traces of the cuticle remover as well as any oils off the nail plate click here to purchase
Step Five
I DON'T buff my nails every week but if I'm noticing some yellowing or ridges I will buff it out gently, concentrating mostly on the new growth since buffing removes layers of your nail and can weaken and thin the nails if done too often.click to purchase
Step Six:
Using a glass file, which is gentler on the nail tip then the sandpaper emery boards I lightly file and shape the nail filing in one direction.click here to purchase

Step Seven:
I finish up by applying a quarter size drop of coconut oil in my hand and massaging it onto each of my cuticles.


There you have my weekly nail care routine and all of my must have items. What are some items in your nail care routine?


No comments :