Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Nail of the Week: Good as Gold






For this week's manicure I began by reaching for....you guessed it "sheer nude" by Orly. I have featured this color in my last three nail of the week posts, can you tell I love it? This design was inspired by cherrynails another of my favorite nail artists. Nude colors are very easily dupable but to me the difference is the formula, this polish is not sheer or streaky like so many nude polishes from other brands. It has been my go to without a doubt lately and I have a feeling you may see it a few more times in future posts :)  I started out with two coats of this color as my base.

Next I added one thin coat of this gold glimmer topcoat from Icing called "glimmer girl". It is not a glitter polish but its more of a "sheen polish". This is definitely not one of those polishes that is meant to be worn on its own, it is far too sheer, but layered over the right color it adds a beautiful golden sheen. I have raved about Icing brand polishes quite a bit on this blog so you should be familiar with them if you are a regular here. I think quality wise they can easily match up to any of the high end brands and at $4.50 a bottle it certainly beats any of them when it comes to price. Icing polishes can be found in most local malls in the Icing stores.
Next I took my all time favorite gold glitter polish, also by Icing, called Gold dust, and created a thick vertical stripe down the middle of each of my nails. This is one of the most opaque glitter polishes ive ever seen and only requires two coats for full coverage. It is comprised of tiny microglitters in gold,silver, and tiny hints of red. I will be so sad when this polish runs out!! As you can see from the bottle its been VERY well loved.
Icing "gold dust"
As I write this post featuring three very well loved polishes in my collection im reminded how often I hear ;people say that they rarely (if ever) use up an entire bottle of nail polish either because it gets too gloopy and unusable or they just have too many in their collection. While I do have a very small and tidy nail polish collection these days I have had as many as 150 I believe and I still managed to use up many a bottle. Of course it helps that I have very long nails but I also am very judicious with my nail polish thinner that I purchase from Sally's the minute I see a nail polish start to get thick or gloopy I apply ten drops and the polish is good as new again. But I think the main thing I do that helps me use up my polish faster is I always do nail art and always do a design that features at least 2,3, sometimes 4 different polishes at once. Thats my tip for using up polish if you have a rather large and unruly collection :)

I finished up the design by using black water based acrylic paint and a small size dotting tool. I drew two thin parallel lines on either side of my vertical glitter stripe and then created swirls of an alternating starting point down the vertical stripe. I finished off by adding a thick coat of topcoat to seal in and protect my design. And thats the finished look, fun easy, and elegant. Why not give it a try? Thanks for reading!! Have a great week

No comments :