Friday, November 29, 2013

Nail of the week: Bows and Pinstripes




So sorry for the lack of posts recently. I have been dealing with some health issues and haven't felt up to blogging much. But I'm back today with a simple, fun, and girly manicure, bows and ribbons against a minty green pinstripe background. In case you were wondering why the bows are two different colors, the reason is I ran out of pink paint (sigh). Oddly enough I actually liked the yellow bows better.




Let's get started. The first step was to paint my nails two coats of Essie's "Absolutely Shore"a beautiful sea foam white green color that I have almost used to the last drop.

Essie Nail Polish in "Absolutely shore"


Next, using Orly's "Lucky Duck" , a beautiful cream jade color,  I created an upside down triangle at the top of my nail. The lines don't have to be perfect since you are going to be outlining them in the black.


Sketching in the Details:

1) Using a small size dotting tool, and black acrylic paint I outlined the upside down triangle with two thin lines.

2) Going in with the first color, Essie's "Absolutely Shore", and a small size dotting tool I created thin pinstripes on the triangle.

3) Using our dotting tool again and yellow acrylic paint, I created a slightly wider line underneath the black outline we created in step one to begin creating my ribbon.

4) Allow this to completely dry

5) Go back in with black acrylic paint and small size dotting tool, outline the bottom of the ribbon with two thin lines again.

Creating the Bow:

1) Using your yellow acrylic paint, or the color of your choice, begin sketching in the bow. Draw two horizontal tear drop shapes connecting at the sharp points

2) With the same color paint, make two small lines underneath your tear drop shapes to form the tails of the ribbon. Again it does not have to be perfect since you are going to add the details with the black acrylic paint.

3) Allowed this to completely dry

4) Going in with your black acrylic paint and small size dotting tool again carefully outline around the bow and the two tails underneath.

5) To add additional details, draw a tiny circle in the middle for the center of the bow. Create two thin lines coming out from each side of the center circle. Add some shading along the bottom of the bow to give it more dimension.

6) All you have left to do is apply your topcoat to seal in your design.

I hope you enjoyed this weeks nail art design. Thanks for reading!

No comments :