Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Nail of the week: DIY textured nails

If you are a nail polish geek like me and follow all the latest nail trends you know that textured nails are the latest de rigueur of nail art. Nail polish brands from OPI to Zoya to Sally Hansen have been coming out with their own take on this trendy look. The idea behind textured nails is that they are supposed to kind of give the illusion of sand. I wasnt sure how much this idea appealed to me truth be told since im the kind of person who loves the look of a smooth, glossy nail I can see my reflection in but I decided to give it a try. However since I live in Egypt now textured nail polish is not available over here just yet so I was forced to go the DIY route. Here's how I accomplished this look.

1) paint nails two thick coats of your favorite pink polish
2)  While nails are still wet dip your whole nail into a small bowl of salt making sure the salt covers the entire nail plate.
3) brush off excess and lightly pat down the salt with your finger to ensure it is firmly in place
4) apply one coat of polish over the salt to achieve the textured look of sand
5) *this step is optional but I couldnt resist putting a light topcoat over the nail polish as well just to make sure it lasted a little longer

* if you would like to know how to achieve the leopard print design I have a tutorial here

To be perfectly honest this look was just not for me, I can appreciate that its something different they are trying but this (and other swatches of textured polish ive seen online) just look like nail polish that is lumpy and bubbling, not cute in my humble opinion. But if you like this trendy look give it a try, its kind of fun to do and super easy to achieve and that way you dont have to spend money on nail polish that, lets face it is going to go out of style in 6 months. Hope you enjoyed this weeks nail art design! thanks for reading!

No comments :