Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Nail art tutorial: How to do hibiscus flowers

This week I decided to do a tutorial for the nail art I am wearing. To see the finished design on my nails click here I have always loved Hibiscus flowers and I think they are so beautiful for summertime. This particular tutorial is not really for the beginner per se but with a little practice I think anyone can easily achieve this. So try it out and just have fun. It does not have to be perfect :) A couple of notes before I begin the tutorial:

1) use water based acrylic paint to achieve the flower. This can be purchased cheaply at any craft store, mine were purchased at Joann's Crafts for only $0.59 each.  Nail polish dries very quickly and can be quite hard to work with when you are trying to do small details.

2) acrylic paint washes off if you make a mistake in the design. However you must remember to add TOPCOAT after you finish the design. This is very important because if you do not then the design will simply wash off .

3) I have listed the nail art brushes and tools I used to achieve this design. They are available very cheaply on Ebay. I paid only $2.85 for a set of 15 brushes all three of the tools used in this tutorial were part of this set. click here to purchase nail art brush set


Step One:
The first step is just to paint your nail in a solid color of your choice. I chose black simply because the art stands out more. Since we will be painting the flower with acrylic paint one tip is to apply a topcoat before you begin the flower since it will make it easier to wash off the paint if you make a mistake
Step Two:
Use acrylic paint in the color of your choice. I'm using white. Paint five heart shaped petals using a slanted or flat tipped shader brush
Step Three
Add two small curved lines to the center of each petal in the color of your choice using a very very thin liner brush and a color of your choice. I chose purple since it is the color I have on my nails this week :)

Step four: Use a small size dotting tool and a darker shade of the color you added to the center to form the stamen. Do not use the exact color you used for the center of the flower or your stamen will not stand out enough.
Step Five: use a small size dotting tool and white to make tiny dots around the very top of the stamen
Step Six: use a small size dotting tool and light green paint to draw small leaves on the side of the flower

Step Seven: finish by adding a tiny line of dark green to the center of the leaves. add your topcoat and you're finished!


1 comment :

nail art roses tutorial said...

wow ..what an art man.. i love your art.. its too impressive.. i am so much impressive with your art.. thanks for sharing it..