Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Nail of the week: handpainted summer hibiscus flower nails and mini review of Revlon "scandalous"

Hand painted Hibiscus (left hand)
hand painted Hibiscus (right hand)

I've been wanting to do a Hibiscus flower nail art design for awhile. The flower was actually pretty simple to achieve I just drew five heart shaped petals with a small detailing brush, added two thin lines of lavender to the center. Then I added the stamen in a darker shade of  purple and used a small size dotting tool to dot the top of the stamen. I think it turned out pretty well, the hibiscus has always been one of my favorite flowers. I decided to do the white and purple hibiscus since I wanted to use one of my new nail polishes, "Scandalous" by Revlon. It is a beautiful black with bright fuchsia micro and macro glitters imbedded in it. I loved the bottle shade and was also interested in it because it is said to be an excellent dupe of the Deborah Lippman polish "bad romance" and at $4.99 it is a fourth of the price of the Deborah Lippman. I love purples and I love glitter polish so I knew I had to snatch this one up. This particular polish is actually a glitter nail polish, where it can and should be worn alone, rather then a glitter topcoat that you layer over another color. Which was sort of the problem that I had with it, because as with most glitter nail polishes they tend to be a little difficult to apply, applying rather thick and gloopy. I also like a smooth finish to my nails so if you are like me you will need a thick topcoat to get rid of that gritty feeling of the glitter. Although it was quite thick with application it was totally opaque in two coats, which is a rarity in my experience when it comes to glitter polish. I'm not sure I would purchase this again, there is a very similar (but not exact color) that I actually own by Wet n Wild called "Night Prowl" that is black with the same color glitter only much more finely milled, that is much easier to work with since it does not contain the chunkier bigger glitters. At $0.99 it is also the most economical of the three if you love nail polish like me but you are on a budget. I hope you enjoyed this week's nail art design. Thanks for reading have a great week!
Revlon "scandalous" $4.99



Deborah Lippman "bad romance" $18-20
Wet n Wild "night prowl" $0.99


Supplies

1) Nail Polish: Revlon "scandalous" #761: $4.99 most drugstores
2) Topcoat: NYC in a New York Minute "grand central Station" #202: $1.99
3) Nail art brush: I purchased mine on Ebay for $0.99 for a set of three brushes
4) Painter's Palette: I purchased mine from Joann's Craft Store for $2.99
5) Dotting Tool: I purchased a set of five dotting tools on Ebay for $1.59

*all acrylic paints are Joann's Craft Essentials brand purchased at Joann's Craft Store for $0.59 each
1) white: #72001
2) dark green: "real green" #72015
3) light green: "grasshopper" #72133
4) dark purple: #72024
5) light purple: "purple pansy" #72188

No comments :