Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Nail of the Week: One stroke flower on a black background

left hand
right hand
This week I wanted to do more practice with one stroke technique. If you don't know what one stroke technique is it involves taking either a flat or slightly slant tip brush, loading each side of the brush with two different colors, placing it flat on a surface, and the moving the brush up and down in a waving motion to produce a single stroke with two different shades of color. It is actually much harder then it looks and I have been practicing for awhile with varying degrees of success :) But I was pretty pleased with the way it turned out this week. I also practiced doing the one stroke with the leaves which give them alot more dimension and detail. I will insert a video here if you are interested to see the one stroke technique in action
I varied the design on my thumbs by just painting one giant one stroke flower in red and white instead of the small yellow and red one stroke flower. I added more dimension to the petals by outlining them in yellow with a very very thin liner brush. I hope you enjoy this week's design! Thanks for reading :)

Supplies
1) Black nail polish: NYC in a New York Minute "blackula" #0156-09: $1.99 most drugstores
2) Topcoat: NYC in a New York Minute "grand central station #202: $1.99 most drugstores
click here to purchase this topcoat
3) painter's palette: $2.99 Joann's Craft store
4) nail art brushes: I purchased a set of 15 brushes which include the two I used for this design on Ebay for only $2.85
click here to purchase nail art brushes

*all acrylic paint is Joann's Craft Essentials Paint and was purchased at Joann's Craft Store for $0.59 each

1) real red #72007
2)lemon yellow #72011
3)real green #72015
4)white#72001

No comments :