Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Nail of the Week: Indian Inspired Paisley Prints

This week's design inspiration: Prints #2 and #4

Left Hand (click on photo to enlarge)

right hand (click on photo to enlarge)
I have been wanting to do a paisley design for some time but I wasn't sure how the look would translate on my nails since, unlike most people, my nails are long, thin, and curved, rather then flat and wide. I decided to give it a whirl when I found these lovely India sari inspired wood print blocks. I used the second pattern and the fourth on my thumb nails for an accent. I started out by applying two coats of my new Orly polish called "lucky duck". I am new to Orly, I just purchased three bottles at Marshall's for $3.99 (regular retail price is about $8.00 where I live), but I have heard great things about this brand so I wanted to check it out. Essie, China Glaze, OPI, and Orly all retail for roughly the same price where I live and I have to say that so far Essie seems to be my preferred salon brand of choice. I adore Essie's color range and formula. However this particular color applied smoothly, and opaquely in two coats, and with no streaking. It is coming off a little dark in the picture but in person "lucky duck" is a gorgeous deep jade.

Orly "Lucky Duck"
I then used a small size dotting tool and white water based acrylic paint to create the paisley design. Surprisingly this pattern was pretty easy to achieve and did not take too long. If you don't have a dotting tool the small size is roughly the same size as a pencil tip. I purchased the paint at Joann's for $0.59 a bottle.
1) Begin with the leaf patter in the center of the paisley
2) Enclose the leaf in a tear dropped shape
3) On the top of the tear drop add a small spiral connecting it to the teardrop
4) Make tiny tear dropped shapes completely around the paisley
5) Add two thick coats of quick dry polish to seal in the design.

3 comments :

Anonymous said...

This is the perfect site for anybody who wants to understand this topic.
You know so much its almost tough to argue with you (not that I personally would want to?
HaHa). You certainly put a fresh spin on a subject that has been written
about for ages. Great stuff, just wonderful!
my web site :: site here

Anonymous said...

Very great post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wished to mention that I've truly loved surfing around your blog posts. In any case I'll be subscribing for your rss feed and I hope you write once more soon!
Also visit my web blog ; my explanation

Jantra said...

thank you for your kind comments! :) it means alot to me :) I try to post at least 1-2 times a week thanks for subscribing :)