Friday, September 28, 2012

nail of the week: matte/shiny one stroke flower design

A big nail trend this season is mixing matte and shiny finishes together in one look. I have seen this done in a variety of ways, one of my favorite being this look I found on Pinterest awhile back:

So I decided to try out this trend with my own design. I decided to make the bottoms of the nails matte and keep the tips shiny and add an Asian inspired one stroke flower on the corner. Alot of companies sell mattifying topcoat but the cheapest one I know of is by NYC Quick Dry line called "matte me crazy" that I bought at Target for $1.82.
NYC New York Color "Matte me Crazy" $1.82-$1.99
 Click here to read about this new topcoat and where you can purchase it near you. For those of you who don't know a matte topcoat is simply a regular topcoat that you can add over any nail polish color and instead of leaving your nails with the usual glossy shiny finish it leaves a matte finish. If this is the look you are going for you are going to be more then happy with this topcoat, one coat is all you will need and it does exactly what it says.
Sinful Colors "black on black" $1.99
The black polish I used was a new purchase for me, it was the color "Black on Black" by Sinful Colors. I like to use black polish as a background color for my nail art so I am always on the hunt for a good brand and as black polishes go this particular one was.....mediocre. Not the best but certainly not the worst. The color was actually pretty pigmented, two coats was more then enough but the problem I had with this particular products is that it is extremely runny. You have to clean off your brush a ridiculous amount on the side of the bottle before applying it to your nail in order to keep the product from flooding your cuticles. Boo..:( The best black polish I have yet to find hands down is the Sephora Brand I got in a Christmas gift set from a friend last year. I am not sure if it was the Sephora by OPI brand but I know it was Sephora brand polish. Click here to purchase my number one black nail polish pick. It is truly amazing polish, highly highly pigmented, very easy to work with, and totally opaque in one coat.  It is not cheap by the Sinful Colors nail polish standards, but a little really does go a long way.

I added the design using water based acrylic paints that can be easily purchased in any craft store. If you use acrylic paints in your nail art though you must always remember to add a topcoat since the paint will wash off the nail without it. In order to complete the matte/shiny contrasting trend I added my favorite go to glossy topcoat NYC in a New York Minute in "grand central station" over just the tips as a french manicure. I hope you enjoy this week's nail art design and thank you for reading!

1 comment :

Anonymous said...

Can't say enough about this website – its alot better than mine.