Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Nail Polish Collection: Part Two REDS

For part two of my nail polish collection I will be listing and briefly reviewing all the reds. Remember these are just my personal opinions about my personal experiences with these colors and brands They are not set in stone :) 


Color Description and Brief Review

1) China Glaze: "Social Animal" $4.00-$7.50 at Ulta, Sephora, Sally Beauty Supply or online:
The prices of China Glaze nail polish can vary greatly depending on where you purchase it. It tends to average in the $5-$6 dollar range but can be a little more or a little less depending on where you buy it. This particular color is one of only two China Glaze colors I have in my collection since I usually never spend more then two to three dollars on polish. But I actually purchased this at a local swapmeet in Bremerton California when I was there visiting my brother for $1.50. Honestly considering this is one of the so called high end polishes I thought it was just ok. The formula was good, not streaky, and it applied opaque in two coats, but the main problem I had was that it stained my nails really bad even with a base coat. I would most likely not purchase China Glaze again unless I REALLY loved the color since I have gotten equal or better results from lower end polish.

2) Wet n Wild "Rouge Rouge" #414A: $0.99 Most drugstores
The color comes off a lot truer in the swatch on the nail then it did in the bottle picture sorry for that. This is the color I used in my "Mickey, Goofy, and Snoopy oh my" nail of the week blogpost. click here to view the blogpost like I said in that blogpost it used to be my absolute go to color for literally years. I haven't worn it in awhile before this week but it is a good classic to have. It is a classic fire engine red that is absolutely beautiful and sophisticated. It is very long wearing and applies completely opaque in two coats. The one thing I hate about this color is that it does get gloopy halfway through the bottle but that is easily resolved by adding a bit of nail polish thinner, which is a product any nail polish aholic should own. Click here to purchase nail polish thinner. This particular bottle I have had for well over four years and it is still completely useable. I would definitely recommend it and will definitely purchase it again.

3) Sally Hansen Extreme Wear "Red Carpet" #390: $2.64-$2.99 at most drugstores or target
Im not a HUGE fan of the Sally Hansen Extreme Wear but I LOVE this shade soooo much. For those interested it is an exact dupe of China Glaze Ruby Pumps. It is a beautiful red with finely milled red glitters giving off a shimmering glitter effect with not as much bling as a traditional glitter polish. The only downside is that it takes 3-4 coats to apply opaquely, but I love it so much I would still repurchase it.

4) Wet n Wild "Jezebel" #463: $0.99 most drugstores
This particular shade was one I didn't actually use very often to I decided to add some medium sized glitters to give it a little more dimension and kick and I really like the effect. I love wet n wild polishes but would most likely not repurchase this shade. 

5) Icing Nail Polish in a bright neon red it is a mini size and I purchased it as part of a set of five neon colors in a $5 for $10 sale at Icing
Icing colors were quite a surprise for me. I mostly bought them because they were so cheap so my expectations were not very high. For those who don't know Icing is a store in the mall that is kind of like Claire's for grownups. The whole set of five neon colors was only $2 since I bought them on sale. The formula is actually really excellent and applies opaquely in 2 coats. The neon colors are matte, which I hate, but the finish can be easily changed with a good topcoat. This particular shade I didn't care for too much and I have never actually worn but I liked the others I got in the set and I would recommend the brand as a whole.

I hope this was helpful and thank you for reading! <3

No comments :