Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Nail of the Week: The "Jelly Sandwich" manicure





This week I decided to do something a little different. Since I am still trying to use up some of my polishes before I move I decided to do another design that utilized several colors.

Last year the "jelly sandwich" manicure was one of the year's hottest nail trends, so I decided to jump on the bandwagon. The "jelly sandwich" manicure is a look that involves layering or "sandwiching" a glitter polish (jelly) in between coats of a sheer nude or pink color (bread). The top layer of the sheer nude or pink dulls down the sparkle of the glitter leaving a more subtle, feminine shimmer.

For the "bread" color of my jelly sandwich manicure I chose Revlon's "Sheer Rose" a faint shimmery nude almost the exact color of my skin. Revlon polishes, in general, are usually a very good quality mid priced brand and this one was no exception. Revlon polishes typically retail for between $3.99-$5.99 depending on where you buy them. For the "jelly" color of my jelly sandwich manicure I chose a multicolored chunky glitter from Forever 21's nail polish line "Love and Beauty". This polish did not have a name but the multicolored glitter is somewhat reminiscent of "Happy Birthday" by Deborah Lippman.This was my first time trying their brand, and glitter polishes are a little hard to tell the quality but they retail very inexpensively at just $2.80

On the tips I added a diagonal swipe of this dark burgundy color by China Glaze. I bought this two years ago at a swap meet and have long since lost the name but I find this to be one of those great colors that for some reason or another never really gets used all that much in my collection. China Glaze polishes retail for about $8 but I bought mine at a swap meet in California for $3.

The design at the tip is not mine it is actually from Tartofraises. click here to see her original design but I decided to recreate it in my own way. I have mentioned her several times in the past but if you don't know her youtube videos or her blog I strongly suggest you check it out. She is AMAZING. She is a true artist and definitely an inspiration to me! click here to check out Tartofraises Blog. She is french so her blog is in french but she also does videos/posts in English as well.

I created the design at the tip with white water based acrylic paint and a small size dotting tool. I hope you enjoyed this week's nail art design. Thanks for reading and have a great day!

No comments :