Friday, January 11, 2013

Nail of the week: stained glass flowers

left hand (click on photo to enlarge)
left hand (click on photo to enlarge)
right hand (click on photo to enlarge)
In case you didn't notice yesterday my nails broke (sad face) so I had to cut them down. Suprisingly though they did not break off all the way which is very unusual for me. While nail art is definitely possible on shorter nails it's just not as much fun. This week I decided to do a sort of stained glass flower on my nail against a black background. I used Revlon's "Black Lingerie". I have used black nail polish in all different brands and this one was just ho hum for me. Here in Portland Revlon polishes retail between $3.99-$5.99 and I am usually really pleased with their quality. However the formulation of this particular polish was a little watery, applied a bit streaky, and required three coats for full opacity.
Revlon "Black Lingerie"

Revlon's "black lingerie"

 A great black polish from the is "Black on Black" by Sinful Colors. It retails for $1.99 and is totally opaque in two coats with no streaking.  Click here to purchase Sinful Colors "black on black"An AMAZING higher end black polish is the sephora brand. That formulation was amazing and completely opaque in one coat. Click here to purchase Sephora Black on Ebay I highly recommend them!
For the design I used fuschia, white, light green and dark green acrylic paints. Acrylic paints can be purchased very inexpensively from any craft store. I buy the $0.59 tubes. The design itself was actually very simple to achieve but turned out very cute so I think I am going to do a separate tutorial for it. Look for that post up next! I hope you enjoy this week's nail art design. Thanks for reading and have a great week!



No comments :