Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Pedicure of the week: very simple purple and white stripes

click on photo to enlarge

click on photo to enlarge
Pure Ice "love" (I didn't "love" it!) :(

This week's toenail art is a very very simple, yet pretty purple and white striped design framed by small pearl like white dots. I actually had something else planned for this week's toenail art but I decided to keep it simple because I wasn't overly happy with the application of the base color. For the base color I used "love" by Pure Ice. I have only had one other Pure Ice polish in my collection before and it was a gorgeous glitter topcoat called "Oh baby" which is a very unique, original color that I use to this day. Pure Ice polishes can be purchased at Walmart for $2.99.
When I initially swatched this I thought it actually seemed pretty pigmented (somewhat unusual for a light nude/pink polish.) but when I applied this on my nail that pigmentation was not evident. It took three coats for full opacity and the formulation was EXTREMELY watery and was very hard to work with. I had a lot of difficulty applying it smoothly and evenly, so that's why I wanted to do something that covered a good deal of the nail, to sort of disguise any imperfections.
For the stripes and excellent tip for creating even symmetrical stripes is to use a small flat tip paintbrush. Just load each side of the brush in two different colors of water based acrylic paint (white and purple in this case) the same way you do for the one stroke painting technique and swipe the paintbrush across the nail, go over it twice to obtain fully opaque stripes.
I used my small size dotting tool to outline the stripes. Then just add a topcoat to seal in the design and you're finished! Very easy to achieve, even for a beginner, but still cute. I hope you enjoyed this weeks toenail art design. Have a great week!

No comments :