Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Pedicure of the Week: Blue Duochrome Abstract Flower

Indoor Photo (click on photo to enlarge)

Natural Light (click on photo to enlarge)
As I mentioned in this week's Nail of the Week post I am moving soon so I am on a mission to pare down my nail polish collection drastically so I don't end up lugging around a bunch of half empty or unused bottles. So over the next month or so I am trying to use some of the discards I have decided not to take with me so they will not go to waste.
It is pretty rare for me to have a color in my collection that I have not used since I work hard to keep an amount of nail polish that I can realistically use. However I did have one color that has been sitting unused since I bought it and that is "Sky High" by Color Club. This was my first experience with color club but I decided to give it a shot after seeing the brand featured almost exclusively by my favorite nail artist Tartofraises. Sky High is a beautiful shimmery blue duochrome with purple and green reflects. It is like Thai silk in a bottle, but......like most duochromes most, if not all of those reflects are lost when actually painted on the nail. I don't know why I never learn my lesson, I always get so seduced by the unique beauty of duochrome polishes on that shelf and I am almost invariably disappointed by how flat and one dimensional they sit on the nail. I can't think of one exception to this.
As far as the quality of the polish itself it is hard to say just having used one polish, but just judging from this I was not particularly impressed. The formula was a little watery and I needed three coats to achieve full opacity. I would be wiling to give color club one more shot but my initial impression is that for the price tag ($5-7 dollar range depending on where you buy them) there are better quality brands available. The color, although beautiful seemed so flat and one dimensional, I decided to add a Wet n Wild glitter topcoat in "kaleidoscope".
"Sky High" Color Club (looks beautiful in the bottle but not so much on the nail :( ) I purchased mine on clearance at Rite Aid for $2.50

"Sky High" Color Club and "Kaleidoscope" by Wet n Wild
For the design I matched the abstract flower I did for this week's Nail of the Week click here to read this blogpost using white water based acrylic paint and my small sized dotting tool. Truth by told I didn't like the look on my toenails nearly as much as I did on my fingernails but it was still pretty :) I hope you enjoyed this week's toenail art design. Thanks for reading and have a great week!

No comments :