Sunday, March 10, 2013

Tips for growing strong, healthy nails part 2

click here to read part one of my tips for growing strong long healthy nails
In part one I explained that I am CONSTANTLY being asked how I get such long, strong, healthy nails so I created these posts to share some of my tips and tricks. I know part one was a long time ago and the reason being that I rarely if ever change up my nail care routine and incorporate any new products to my already tiny lineup. However since starting the blog I have tried to branch out a little and test out a few new products and I wanted to share some of my tips with you guys.
As I mentioned in part one for me personally 90% of it is cuticle care. If you have healthy well maintained. moisturized cuticles your nails will be stronger and healthier. This requires less products then you might think. In the past few months I have stuck to the products I mentioned in part one as well as incorporated a few new ones
The first product I tested up and quickly used up was the ELF nourishing cuticle oil pen with avocado and almond oils. I purchased mine at target for just $0.99. I liked the ELF cuticle pen but I didn't love it. One of my main problems with it was the packaging. Like the name suggests it is a pen shape with a felt tip for easy application around the cuticle line but unlike the ELF lipglosses that are in similar packaging there is no twister at the bottom to dispense product through the felt tip so I found that the oil was actually a little bit hard to get out. There is also very little actual product and I always like to apply alot of product to the cuticles when I moisturize so this ran out quickly for me. I believe I got about ten generous uses. But once applied the oil does smell amazing and seemed to moisturize my cuticles satisfactorily.
Pros: inexpensive, light weight non spill packaging excellent for travel
cons: very little products, hard to dispense the oil

overall verdict: would purchase again but only for travel purposes
click to purchase Elf Cuticle Pen

click here to purchase Beauty Secrets Cuticle Oil
The next product I tried and used up was the Beauty Secrets Cuticle Oil from Sally Beauty Supply. This bottle contains 18.5 ml and retails for $4.99. It is a mixture of several different oils including sunflower and macadamia oil. It has a convenient brush applicator to apply the oil around the cuticle line. I didn't love this product for a few reasons. One is that it was no easy to put in your purse or carry in your travel bag like the ELF cuticle pen. It will definitely leak! and yes I learned this the hard way. Since this left me with only using it at home I found that I didn't end up reaching for it very often when I had other, better products to choose from. Therefore this bottle took me nearly a year to use up. I liked the idea of being able to paint the product on but I didnt find that the product once applied was all that effective at moisturizing my cuticles and preventing hangnails and splitting. It had a lovely fruity almondy smell but there wasnt alot of bang for the buck.
pros: the brush applicator, the lovely scent
cons: bottle is bulky and leaks and not convenient for the purse or travelling, does not moisturize the way other products have in my experience.

overall verdict: would not purchase again

The last product I have been using on my cuticles is coconut oil. I absolutely adore coconut oil for my hair and I decided to try it for the cuticles as well. In part one I discussed my success with olive oil as well. Coconut oil is very inexpensive, a jar this size retails for $4.99 at Trader Joes and will last you FOREVER. It smells delicious and requires just a quarter size dollop applied to the palm of your hand and massaged into the cuticles to give you strong moisturized healthy cuticles and nails. I didn't think I would find anything I loved more then olive oil but I think I found it. I strongly recommend this product. I am 100% sure if you use a quarter size amount in your cuticles every day along with the other cuticle care mentioned in part one, you will start to see some great results. If you are hesitant to use this because you don't like your hands to feel greasy never fear, coconut oil absorbs very quickly. However be warned coconut oil does solidify unless heated so to use simply remove the lid and pop it in the microwave for 45 seconds and it will be in oil form.
pros: inexpensive, smells amazing, ultra ultra moisturizing and quickly absorbs
cons: can be inconvenient for travel since coconut oil solidifies unless heated. I pour it in a 3 ml travel bottle when heated and apply it as a cuticle balm when I am travelling.

final verdict: would definitely use again!

No comments :